Indian Medical Association is the only representative, national voluntary organisation of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine, which looks after the interest of doctors as well as the well being of the community at large.
The founding fathers wayback in 1928, while struggling for liberation of the Motherland from British rule simultaneously felt the need of a national organisation of the medical profession. Before that, some members of the profession – a selected few – were members of the British Medical Association, which had opened branches in India to cater to the local needs. These stalwarts, ultimately succeeded in formation of Indian Medical Association and reached an agreement with the British Medical Association that they will have no branch in India, and got mutually affiliated, which relationship continues till today.
Indian Medical Association in the year 1946 helped in organisation of the World body, namely, World Medical Association, and thus became its founder member. As an organisation it has been, and continues to play an important role in its deliberations. It hosted the III World Conference on Medical Education under the joint auspices of W.M.A. and I.M.A. in New Delhi in 1966.
Today, I.M.A. is a well established organisation with it’s Headquarters at Delhi and State / Terr. Branches in 29 States and Union Territories. It has over 2,15,000 doctors as its members through more than 1650 active local branches spread all over the country.
- To promote and advance medical and allied sciences in all their different branches and to promote the improvement of public health and medical education in India
- To maintain the honour and dignity and to uphold the interest of the medical profession and to promote co-operation amongst the members thereof;
- To work for the abolition of compartmentalism in medical education, medical services and registration in the country and this to achieve equality among all members of the profession.
About IMA Rajkot
Indian Medical Association Rajkot Branch was established in 1944 by Dr. T. M. Shah and his team. Since then It has grown strongly. As of today it has more than 2200 members.
Indian Medical Association is the only representative voluntary organization of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine, which looks after the interest of doctors as well as the well being of the community at large. The Association was started in 1928 on the occasion of the 5th all India Medical Conference at Calcutta with the avowed objectives:
- Promotion and Advancement of Medical and allied sciences in all their different branches.
- The improvement of public Health and Medical Education in India.
- The maintenance of honour and dignity of medical profession.
(Live to Serve)
MAY EVERYBODY BE
MAY EVERY ONE OF US SEE TO IT
THAT NOBODY SUFFERS FROM ANY PAIN OR SORROW
I DO NOT ASK FOR CROWN NOR I WISH TO BE IN HEAVEN OR REBORN
I ONLY WANT TO ALLEVIATE THE SUFFERING OF THOSE PEOPLE
WHO ARE BURNING IN FIRE OF SORROW.
We, the members of the Indian Medical Association stand here to salute our National Flag. Its honour and glory shall be our light and strength and its course shall be our course. We pledge our allegiance to it and realising our responsibilities as the accredited members of this national organisation, we swear, we will dedicate everything in our power to see it fly high in the comity of nations. Jai Hind!